Saturday, November 14, 2009

How do I transplant a 1-foot tall palm tree?

My septic tank exploded last night (fun...) and I had the septic tank people digging in my yard to fix it. Someone accidentally dug up a 1-foot tall king palm and I would like to transplant it into a pot until it gets bigger. The roots still look intact but how do I tell if it is damaged or not? What is the best way to keep this plant from going into shock and keeping it alive? What size pot should I use? Thank you!

How do I transplant a 1-foot tall palm tree?
Dont worry too much about root damage.Most plants dont mind root pruning. Make sure the pot has at least a 6in gap for the roots to grow.Try using sand and a quality compost mix for nutrition and drainage. Make sure it gets plenty of water and sun. I cant see there being much of a problem as long as the roots are kept moist during transplant.. good luck
Reply:Sorry to hear about your palm tree. You'll need a really large pot to grow it in for now. Make sure you have proper drainage in the bottom of it, then make sure you use a combo of bagged top soil %26amp; planting soil. Keeping the roots intact as best as you can is what's important when transplanting. Never use cold water on your flowers, trees, bushes, etc. It can shock them %26amp; you don't really want to shock your palm tree. Water the roots of your palm tree before you plant it. Good luck !!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment