Monday, November 16, 2009

How does a Wi-Fi card for a palm handheld work?

I will be traveling in the spring and the Hotel I am staying at has wireless Internet. I do not have a Wi-Fi card for my palm but now I am planning to purchase one. If I buy a card, does this mean that I will be able to connect to the Internet anywhere there is a signal and will I acually be able to veiw web pages and send and receive email. Can someone explain how the whole thing works so I know if I should spend the money or not?

How does a Wi-Fi card for a palm handheld work?
Yes you will be able to connect where ever there is a Wifi connection available, but you will need more than just the card in order to do so. You will have to install web browsing software. Many Wifi cards will come bundled with the software, but if the one that you choose does not there are many sites where you can download what you need for little or no cost. Treocentral.com is one, and Cnet.com is another. You can also try at the Palm website.





It is certainly worth the expense. You will be able to view most websites as well as send and receive email. If you have a web based email account you wont need anything additional, but if you are using a diferent email software you will need seperate software for your Palm. You will configure it the same way your Outlook or whatever else you may be using is set up. The rest is just like your PC at home.
Reply:I'm running a Palm T/X.





It shocked me when it just happed to go online when I was near a hotspot.





Works beautifully. You'll have to download Palm Desktop w/Sync Manager from palm.com.





Otherwise, you'll have everything you need. Mine had a built in T-Mobile Hotspot promo that I'm still using, but don't really need to subscribe to.


No comments:

Post a Comment