Friday, May 21, 2010

Have one palm tree that uprooted itself and fell. Have another doing the same. What can I do to salvage it?

About 6 months ago, I had a 10 foot palm tree fall on its own. I did noticed that there was something unusual about the roots at the base of the tree before falling. I now notice that same thing happening with another of my palms. It looks like the it's pulling up its own roots.





The nursery around my house mentioned that it was hard soil. I laid some gypsum down but this didn't help. I've recently fertilized the tree.





It looks like the roots are slowly pulling up towards the center at a rate of 1 inch per month. Soon this tree will be down. Any suggestions?

Have one palm tree that uprooted itself and fell. Have another doing the same. What can I do to salvage it?
From what you have expressed, this sounds like a potential issue with the original planting of the Palm tree. First, trees are not capable of "pulling up" their own roots. This is more likely an issue with mass of the root ball becoming larger than the area provided in the initial planting. Typically a root system will bore into the soil to expand this area as the tree grows over time.


If this is not possible ( hard soil , rocky soil ) the root tips will still attempt to grow ( especially if fertilized ) and thereby create an upward pressure on the mass of the tree . In such a scenario, I would suggest expanding the viable soil area for the root system by tilling a greater radius around the existing area to promote root growth extending to at least 1 1/2 times the radius of the crown of the tree.


It is likely that the tree would need to be staked for support while the root system re-establishes itself. There are cautions that need to be taken due to known problems with palms and insect / disease via bark scoring / cutting.


I offer this information not as a landscape architect, but an individual with a B.S. degree in Forestry. You might also refer to the following


http://www.palmtreedr.com/problems.html
Reply:deep

hayes

No comments:

Post a Comment