Wednesday, May 19, 2010

How do I prune a Date Palm?

The tree is quite short, yet the palm fronds extend quite far giving the tree a short but fat shape. They hang so low that I can not get my car in my drive way. (I did not plant this tree, otherwise I would probably: A: not have planted it in this spot, B: I would have planted a different tree)





The leaves at the top of the tree, the new ones, are nice and green, while the farther down the tree you go, the leaves start to have a yellowish color, and at the base, the leaves have a dead and yellow color. I think it is ugly, and I want to cut the dead leaves off - If I can with out killing the tree.





Also, the "bark" of the tree is hidden by the bases of the leaves that have not been taken off of the tree. This makes for a huge habitat for mice, etc, and I want to trim this off as well. How do I do this without killing the tree?

How do I prune a Date Palm?
cut brown fronds back smooth with the trunk. Never prune the top, newest shoots. It will die if you do.
Reply:you won't hurt it, prune away


No comments:

Post a Comment