Friday, November 13, 2009

How do I plant a SAGO PALM SEED?

I have recently got a few (4) Sago Palm Plant Seeds. I am not sure how to really plant them if someone could help me out, i dont know if it is suppose to be the tip pointed up or down.

How do I plant a SAGO PALM SEED?
The seeds germinate easily with two tricks. Seed orientation is not important. You have to be sure to remove all of the pulp from the seeds (which may already have been done), then soak the seeds for two or three days, changing the water daily. There are germination inhibitors in the pulp which will leach out in the water. Then you need to scarify or nick the seeds. On one end of a seed, using a sharp knife, cut a piece of the seed coat off of the seed. The seed will not germinate until the seed coat rots enough to allow water to enter the seed. As you will see, sagos have very hard seed coats, so this happens slowly without nicking the seed. I germinated some last year and just planted nice full gallon pots a couple of weeks ago. I think it took about a month for the seeds to germinate in warm weather.
Reply:Tip up,but soak them overnight in warm water,then plant in a mix of potting soil, sand, and vermiculite(for outdoors) or perilite.Don't put any fertiliser in them,they won't need it for a few years.


No comments:

Post a Comment