Friday, November 13, 2009

What is the correct way to take care of a Majesty palm indoor plant?

I got a majesty palm plant for my apt. i need know the way to take of it. i hear that they are difficult plants. how much water and sun light does it need. and fertilizer

What is the correct way to take care of a Majesty palm indoor plant?
Palms are a high light demand plant. Pick the sunniest window you have and set it as close to the glass as you can. Do not transplant it into some poorly draining container. Palms actually do not mind being very rootbound. If you want to put it into a pretty container, get one big enough that you can set the grow pot inside it along with a saucer. DO NOT OVERWATER! It will need to be thoroughly watered, but it cannot take standing water. You can get around this by setting something as a spacer in the bottom of the containter, in the saucer and allow the water to run out of the grow pot and into the saucer, but the palm is not sitting in it.


You can take the whole thing out of the deco container and give it a good drink in a tub and then set it back where it goes after it has finished draining. Plain old water soluble fertilizer like Peter's, etc. is fine. Osmocote or some other slow-release is fine too. Watch for spider mites and mealybugs. A little daily misting when it is hot is a good method of suppressing spidermites. Have fun, palms are really not that hard provided they get enough light.
Reply:I have one that I keep in my bedroom in front of the window during the winter. It starts to yellow some, when the fronds dry up, I cut it off, more are always growing. I use plant food spikes %26amp; they work well. After frost is over, in may, I put it outside on my patipo where it gets good light, but not direct sun, %26amp; it grows like a weed til first frost. Then it goes back in the house. Inside I water every 1-2 weeks. Outside, 2-3 times a week when it's really hot.

hayes

No comments:

Post a Comment